Subject: bug#58509: 29.0.50; Synchronous nativecomp

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 13:13:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> `batch-native-compile' just calls `byte-compile-file' on the command
>> line arguments.
>
> It does?  I see this:
>
>     (cl-loop for file in command-line-args-left
>              if (or (null byte+native-compile)
>                     (cl-notany (lambda (re) (string-match re file))
>                                native-comp-bootstrap-deny-list))
>              collect (comp--native-compile file)  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>              else
>              collect (byte-compile-file file))))
>
> What did I miss?

Sorry, I meant "it just calls comp--native-compile on the command line
arguments".  Which is irrelevant for the proposed use case, which is
enabling normal opportunistic .eln generation, but synchronously.

I.e., if you say

emacs --batch --native-comp -l foo

and foo requires bar, then bar should be native-compiled before being
used.

So I'm not sure why you're bringing up batch-native-compile at all -- it
seems irrelevant, but perhaps I'm missing something?