Subject: Re: bug#58507: Emacs does not preserve the coding system

From: Juhana Sadeharju <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 03:22:44 +0300

Hello. I have now tested this with versions 24.3, 25.3 and latest 28.2. All
have this problem.

First I create a new file with c-x c-f. By default, it has coding system
iso-latin-9-dos.

I change the coding system to utf-8 via the buffer's bottombar. Char "0"
changes to "U".

Then I write "äöäöäö" and quit emacs.

When I rerun the emacs and open the text, the "öä" looks wrong and coding
system is back at iso-latin-9-dos.

I use Total Commander's View to verify the file is ok. The file goes wrong
only if I now save the buffer.

What helps is c-x ret r which asks the coding system -- I type utf-8.

Also helps when I add ";;; -*- coding: utf-8-dos; -*-" to the top of file.
I will use this method as solution, but this is too advanced for regular
users -- please check what is the problem.

Windows 11 Home, ver 22H2, installed 11.10.2022, HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop
TG01-2xxx

pe 14. lokak. 2022 klo 13.42 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> kirjoitti:

> > From: Juhana Sadeharju <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 09:02:25 +0300
> >
> > Hello. I did set the coding system to utf-8 but at quit/restart the file
> goes to iso-latin-dos and chars such as ä
> > and ö becomes unreadable. Windows 11. Both the latest Emacs and older
> version 25.3 has this same
> > problem.
>
> Please tell the details: how did you set coding system to utf-8, and
> how did you see that the file goes to iso-latin-dos.  We need these
> details to investigate the problem.
>
> Thanks.
>