Subject: bug#58505: 29.0.50; Time out waiting for reply from selection owner

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 16:01:37 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2022-10-15 10:39]:
> > Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:11:01 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Po Lu <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > 
> > * Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2022-10-14 09:27]:
> > > The solution, of course, is to never run more than a single Emacs
> > > session on the same machine.
> > 
> > That is isolated solution for users who do not use Emacs Lisp for
> > heavy or continues processing of data.
> 
> I disagree with this assertion.  You can organize your heavy
> computation such that it never runs when you need an interactive
> session, or run such computation in a sub-process (that could also be
> Emacs, just one running in batch mode), or any number of other
> solutions.  You just need to realize that having just one interactive
> Emacs session at a time is much more important than the other
> considerations, and change your priorities accordingly.

That is exactly what I do, I span one Emacs session as separate
instance. What I do not understand is how that separate instance may
disturb the new instance to yank or use selections. I do not know if
it wants to use selections, but similar wording was written in
messages. I hope you understand it better. Other X programs do not
have the problem in copying or pasting while Emacs is processing
information in the database.

> > Would process that runs in console or as batch also cause this
> > problem?
> 
> I don't think so, no.
> 
> > Is there a way in a single instance to disable something, so that
> > selection whatever is disabled during processing, so that other
> > instance is not disturbed?
> 
> You can disable interprogram-paste-function, but why would you want
> to?

The bug report is the reason why I would want it. When Emacs is
processing heavy data, I do not write nothing in that instance, I
cannot access the instance, it is blocked due to processing. That is
fine. But then I want to use other instance, and that other instance,
the interactive one, gets disturbed because during the processing of
the first instance something is happening and second instance,
supposed to be free, is not free for work.

Thus I guess if I disable interprogram-paste-function in the
processing instance, new instance should not have problems.

I have tested it now. It does not work. I have disabled both
variables, interprogram-paste and cut function, and I have spanned new
Emacs instance.

I get this error again:

gui-get-selection: (error "Timed out waiting for reply from selection owner")
Timed out waiting for reply from selection owner

I wish to disable it in the instance processing with Emacs Lisp, not
in the one which I need for interactive usage.

What else is possible to do to make it work?

My Emacs is supposed to run 24 hours processing advertising
information.

Processing instance screenshot:
https://gnu.support/images/2022/10/2022-10-16/2022-10-16-15:35:07.png

That frame I do not touch as Emacs is not responsive, it just does Emacs Lisp.

Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/