Subject: Re: bug#58505: 29.0.50; Time out waiting for reply from selection owner

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:39:01 +0300

> Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:11:01 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Po Lu <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> * Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2022-10-14 09:27]:
> > The solution, of course, is to never run more than a single Emacs
> > session on the same machine.
> 
> That is isolated solution for users who do not use Emacs Lisp for
> heavy or continues processing of data.

I disagree with this assertion.  You can organize your heavy
computation such that it never runs when you need an interactive
session, or run such computation in a sub-process (that could also be
Emacs, just one running in batch mode), or any number of other
solutions.  You just need to realize that having just one interactive
Emacs session at a time is much more important than the other
considerations, and change your priorities accordingly.

> Would process that runs in console or as batch also cause this
> problem?

I don't think so, no.

> Is there a way in a single instance to disable something, so that
> selection whatever is disabled during processing, so that other
> instance is not disturbed?

You can disable interprogram-paste-function, but why would you want
to?