Subject: Re: bug#58472: [PATCH] Make `message-unique-id' less prone to collisions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:05:28 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:38:48 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> > I like it.
> 
> Eli doesn't, so I'll drop the idea for now. I didn't realize we were 
> close to releasing 29.1, and I agree with Eli that adding a make-nonce 
> primitive is not something to do close to a release.

I actually don't mind adding a new primitive, and Lars says it could
be useful.  A new primitive cannot do any harm; all I'm asking is not
to start using it right away in places where we have solid code that
worked for years.  And the particular feature for which make-nonce was
intended in this case definitely doesn't need it.

However, I would like to have at least a short discussion of the
potential needs for make-nonce, and to have it in a separate thread,
so that we could be all on the same page about its need, use, and
semantics.