Subject: Re: bug#58459: Getting a fresh emacs session with no customisation

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 18:22:48 +0800

uzibalqa <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fine, but when this happens on Trisquel, then it is a topic of concern.  Aren't
> maintainers supposed to work together?  Most times everybody works independently
> with almost no concern or collaboration.

Users actually want the desktop environment to set resources that make
applications match the system stylesheet.

If you don't, remove the resources.  We cannot make decisions for the
Trisquel developers.

> I wonder the rational behind considering x-resources as authoritative.
> As you mentioned, these days x-resources are a rather esoteric feature.
> Your design should be the other way round. With a flag `enforce-x-resources'.
> So one always gets vanilla emacs with no init file, or when the init file
> does nothing, or something goes wrong.  It is very easy to make an init file
> fail when one is writing emacs functionalities and packages.

Emacs is an X program, and good X programs respect resources set in the
usual locations.  It is a decades old convention.

> It is also an emacs bug from my point of view.  Especially when you confirm 
> that x-resources are not used all that often anymore. 

No.