Subject: bug#58459: Getting a fresh emacs session with no customisation

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:47:53 +1300

On 2022-10-13 10:11, uzibalqa wrote:
> I am continually amazed how unreactive emacs maintainers can be to
> users.  Either shaming them, make them look stupid

Wow?  This discussion has been between you and Stefan Kangas, and at
no point has Stefan been anything other than polite and informative!

> but then months or years later, it gets recognised they were right
> all along.

This is how X resources have always worked (for decades) -- I can't
imagine them changing, and Emacs provides ways for you to inhibit
them (or indeed add to them).

You said you saw the problem with this:

emacs -q --no-site-file --no-splash

but not with "emacs -Q".

The documentation says:

‘-Q’
‘--quick’
      Start Emacs with minimum customizations.  This is similar to using
      ‘-q’, ‘--no-site-file’, ‘--no-site-lisp’, ‘--no-x-resources’, and
      ‘--no-splash’ together.

So the difference that using -Q made was equivalent to adding these:

--no-site-lisp
--no-x-resources

And as discussed, it's specifically this:

‘--no-x-resources’
      Do not load X resources.  You can also achieve this effect by
      setting the variable ‘inhibit-x-resources’ to ‘t’ in your
      initialization file (*note Resources::).

So you can use either of those solutions if you don't wish to change
the X resources configured on your system.

-Phil