Subject: Re: bug#58434: Native compile results in error if -march and -mtune are specified

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:43:22 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> [Please use Reply All to keep the bug tracker on the CC list.]
>
>> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:48:54 +0200
>> From: Loreno Heer <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> (setq native-comp-compiler-options '("-O2" "-march=native" "-mtune=native"))
>> 
>> in my .emacs file.
>> I wanted to speed up the installation a bit. I found the suggestion
>> here:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/prihh8/optimization_flags_for_nativecomp_whats_the/
>
> OK, so the compiler told you it doesn't support -march=native, so you
> will have to specify the exact architecture.
>
> Btw, I think you should use native-comp-driver-options for this, not
> native-comp-compiler-options.  Andrea, am I right?  I think GCC is
> "driver" and "compiler" means cc1, no?  (If I'm right, we need to fix
> the doc strings.)

Hi Eli,

native-comp-driver-options is for assembler and linker while
native-comp-compiler-options is for the compiler.  AFAIK 'march' affects
code generation so it should got to the compiler, then I believe the use
of native-comp-compiler-options here is correct.

  Andrea