Subject: Re: bug#58434: Native compile results in error if -march and -mtune are specified

From: Loreno Heer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:58:27 +0200

Specifying the architecture directly works.

I used the following snippet

cc -march=native -Q --help=target

to query which architecture native would give me then replaced it. Both
windows (nehalem) and linux (tigerlake) seem to work fine so far, but
the packages that failed to compile previously need to be reinstalled I
guess.

Thanks for the help

On 11.10.2022 17:52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> [Please use Reply All to keep the bug tracker on the CC list.]
> 
>> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:48:54 +0200
>> From: Loreno Heer <[email-masked]>
>>
>> (setq native-comp-compiler-options '("-O2" "-march=native" "-mtune=native"))
>>
>> in my .emacs file.
>> I wanted to speed up the installation a bit. I found the suggestion
>> here:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/prihh8/optimization_flags_for_nativecomp_whats_the/
> 
> OK, so the compiler told you it doesn't support -march=native, so you
> will have to specify the exact architecture.
> 
> Btw, I think you should use native-comp-driver-options for this, not
> native-comp-compiler-options.  Andrea, am I right?  I think GCC is
> "driver" and "compiler" means cc1, no?  (If I'm right, we need to fix
> the doc strings.)