Subject: bug#5843: closed (Re: 23.1.95; Bug in recentf-include-p causes data loss)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#5843: 23.1.95; Bug in recentf-include-p causes data loss

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
5843: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5843
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.1.95; Bug in recentf-include-p causes data loss
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 03:14:35 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.1

It does seem better to err on the side of caution and include in case of
error.

Subject: 23.1.95; Bug in recentf-include-p causes data loss
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:59:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There's a bug in `recentf-include-p' that could cause losing all entries
in recentf-list. When a predicate in `recentf-exclude' errs,
`recentf-include-p' returns nil and thus causes an corresponding entry
to be removed. My entire recentf-list (500ish entries) has been damaged
because of this and before I found out the data saved has already been
overwritten.

I think recentf-include-p should not silently ignore an error from any
predicates in recentf-exclude because an error signals a bug in the
predicate itself.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.95.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.29)
 of 2010-04-03 on Victoria.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.6.3