Subject: bug#58429: 29.0.50; inhibit-automatic-native-compilation does not work as expected.

From: Max Brieiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:57:20 +0300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Max Brieiev <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>   (comp--native-compile (lambda (&rest arg1) (let ((f #'make-process))
>> (apply f arg1))) nil nil)
>>   (comp-trampoline-compile make-process)
>
> Oh, it's making trampolines.
>
> inhibit-automatic-native-compilation does not inhibit making those, as
> the manual explains:
>
>      While setting this variable disables automatic compilation of Lisp
>      files, the compiler may still be invoked to install “trampolines”
>      if any built-in functions are redefined.  However, these
>      trampolines will not get written to disk.

Then this works as expected and the ticket can be closed.

I was confused by the part that says that trampolines (whatever the term
means) "will not get written to disk", but the error was about not being
able to create '.eln' file on disk.