Subject: Re: bug#58429: 29.0.50; inhibit-automatic-native-compilation does not work as expected.

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:49:19 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Exactly.  I don't think magit is trying to invoke the native compiler
>> directly (I don't see any trace of that in magit's source code).  Also
>> other packages are reported to show the same issue (probably the one
>> with no .eln already available).
>>
>> If this is the case is just `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' not
>> doing what it promises (read being broken).
>
> It's meant to inhibit JIT compilation:
>
> "If non-nil, inhibit automatic native compilation of loaded .elc files."
>
> package.el calls the native-compilation functions directly, and are not
> affected by the variable at all (as currently designed).

AFAIU this bug report is not about package.el, magit (again AFAIU) was
already installed.