Subject: bug#58419: closed (Re: bug#58579: [PATCH 0/4] Rewrite grafts using gexps)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 23:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58419: Grafting order depends on store connection state

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58419: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58419
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58579: [PATCH 0/4] Rewrite grafts using gexps
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 01:51:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   grafts: Move '%graft?' and related bindings to (guix store).
>   Remove now unnecessary uses of (guix grafts).
>   grafts: Rewrite using gexps.
>   build-system/gnu: Disable grafts in 'python-build'.

I took Liliana’s suggestion into account and pushed as
863c228bfd53aac478eee46f6ee54d87fee9d764.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: Grafting order depends on store connection state
From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:40:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Someone reported yesterday on IRC [1] that they didn't get the same
canonical path for the pass (from `password-store`) binary if they built
it directly or in a profile with `fontconfig` added.  I managed to
isolate the issue down to the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(let ((right (with-store store (run-with-store store (package->derivation
                                                      (specification->package
                                                       "password-store")))))
      (wrong (with-store store (run-with-store store (mbegin %store-monad
                                                       (package->derivation
                                                        (specification->package
                                                         "texlive-bin"))
                                                       (package->derivation
                                                        (specification->package
                                                         "password-store")))))))
  (pk right)
  (pk wrong))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Both derivations differ even though they ideally should be identical,
apparently git doesn't appear in the same place in the grafting
derivation.

I've tried to debug the grafting code but to no avail yet.  Does anyone
have any idea?

[1] https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2022-10-09.log#203800

-- 
Josselin Poiret