Subject: Installer script no longer works with `yes` utility

From: Jonas Freimuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:33:44 +0000

Package: guix

Version: 1.4.0

Severity: important

Heyo,

I use the github `guix-install-action` 
(https://github.com/PromyLOPh/guix-install-action), which internally 
runs the `guix-install.sh` script non-interactively, via the yes utility:

```{bash}

bash -c 'yes | bash guix-install.sh'

```

However, since commit `6a2e303d3a49baf7c222a70b91f453e9efd456c6` 
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/etc/guix-install.sh?id=6a2e303d3a49baf7c222a70b91f453e9efd456c6), 
this apparently causes the entire action to hang (leading to eventual 
termination by github).

I confirmed this behaviour by running the "Download", "Fetch Key", and 
"Install Guix" steps of the `guix-install-action` as root on a WSL2 
instance of Ubuntu20.04 (using todays wsl rootfs from 
https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/focal/current/).

Running

```{bash}

sudo --preserve-env=GUIX_BINARY_FILE_NAME -- bash -c 'bash guix-install.sh'

```

instead of

```{bash}

sudo --preserve-env=GUIX_BINARY_FILE_NAME -- bash -c 'yes | bash 
guix-install.sh'

```

i.e. running the script interactively works fine.

Is this intended, or is there another suggested way to run the 
`guix-install.sh` script non-interactively?

Best wishes,

Jonas