Subject: bug#58404: 29.0.50; [PATCH] When killing Emacs from the last client, don't warn about the session having clients

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:53:00 +0300

> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:08:17 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 10/9/2022 11:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > IMO, this is an unnecessary annoyance.  We don't by default ask the 
> > user any questions today, when they want to kill an Emacs session.
> 
> But Emacs *does* prompt the user today. If you call 
> 'save-buffers-kill-emacs' from an emacsclient frame, it will (almost) 
> always ask you, "This Emacs session has clients; exit anyway?" My patch 
> just gets rid of that annoyance when we can be sure it's unnecessary 
> (i.e. it won't ask if there are no other emacsclients and no other 
> frames not owned by a client).

It is okay not to prompt when there's no need.  That wasn't the part
on which I commented, AFAIU.

You said:

> On the other hand, I think it *would* be useful to prompt if you're in 
> the last client, but there are other non-client frames.

I'm saying that no, it will not be useful to prompt in that case: if
the only frames left are non-client frames, we should not prompt,
because we don't prompt when there are no client frames to begin with.
Apologies if I misunderstood the use case.