Subject: Re: bug#58396: 29.0.50; Optimization failure for add-to-list

From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:48:06 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From 83387466cfb7fe859b227fb00148ee7f6cd288a5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:26:15 +0200
>> Subject: [PATCH] Silence macro expansion during completion-at-point
>>
>> * lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.el (elisp--local-variables): Silence
>> messages.  Avoid compiler macros.  Suppress all errors during macro
>> expansion.  (Bug#58396)
>
> Thanks.  I think it would be cleaner to introduce a variable in
> `macroexp.el` which `elisp--local-variables` can bind and which
> `macroexp.el` can check so we avoid (ab)using advice.

What about naming it `macroexp-inhibit-compiler-macros´?

I also wanted to ask whether to extend that approach to the other advice
installed in `elisp--local-variables´ but then noticed that
`macroexpand´ is actually a built-in.  Which would be a bit over my head
...