Subject: bug#58390: 29.0.50; sqlite: on INSERT RETURNING id does not return value

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 10:19:16 +0300

Here I see not acceptable behavior with sqlite- functions, as INSERT
statement does not return the value.

(setq my-db (sqlite-open "~/my-org-properties"))

my-db ⇒ #<sqlite db=0x55987eb7d4a0 name=/home/data1/protected/my-org-properties>

(sqlite-execute my-db "CREATE TABLE people1 (people_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
                                           people_firstname TEXT,
                                           people_middlenames TEXT,
                                           people_name TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '>>>UNKNOWN<<<',
                                           people_email TEXT,
                                           people_description TEXT)")

(sqlite-select my-db "SELECT * FROM people") ⇒ nil

(sqlite-execute my-db "INSERT INTO people (people_firstname, people_name, people_email)
                                  VALUES (?, ?, ?)
                               RETURNING people_id" 
		'("Joe" "Doe" "[email-masked]"))
and after that function I get message "not an error". That is not proper.

What I actually expect is to get the `people_id' but function
 does not return it. Returning the values is very important for
 future work with SQLite in Emacs.

I can expect it, I see it worked well:

(sqlite-select my-db "SELECT * FROM people") ⇒ ((1 "Joe" nil "Doe" "[email-masked]" nil))

This one is returning well the value of deleted people:
(sqlite-execute my-db "DELETE FROM people") ⇒ 1

Let me confirm it:
(sqlite-select my-db "SELECT * FROM people") ⇒ nil

Let me try to delete it again:
(sqlite-execute my-db "DELETE FROM people") ⇒ 0

I will keep testing it.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-10-05 built on
 protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 9449e0740cd97bbcdbaeb4713dc2dd51e65994fd
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils sql auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv view thingatpt comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib display-line-numbers rmc iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 61937 9937)
 (symbols 48 7314 2)
 (strings 32 21536 2117)
 (string-bytes 1 684680)
 (vectors 16 14306)
 (vector-slots 8 201108 13531)
 (floats 8 30 73)
 (intervals 56 879 50)
 (buffers 1000 14))

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/