Subject: bug#58389: 29.0.50; Python completion fails under certain conditions

From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 15:58:11 +0900

Hi,

Completion in Python mode buffer fails under certain conditions:

- non-native completion is used,
- ElDoc mode is used, or
- FFAP is used.

Here is how to reproduce the problem of non-native completion:

1. emacs -Q
2. Open the following Python file.

#+begin_src python
import sys
#+end_src

3. Use M-x customize-variable to disable
   python-shell-completion-native-enable
4. C-u -1 M-x eldoc-mode (Disable ElDoc mode)
5. C-c C-p (M-x run-python)
6. C-x o (Back to the Python mode buffer)
7. C-c C-c (M-x python-shell-send-buffer)
8. C-n (M-x next-line)
9. Type "sys."
10. C-M-i (M-x completion-at-point)
11. Completions are shown in *Completions* buffer.
12. Type "e"
13. C-M-i (M-x completion-at-point)
14. "No match" is shown in the minibuffer.

This does not happen when native completion is enabled and ElDoc mode
is disabled.

The following steps show the problem of ElDoc mode:

1. emacs -Q
2. Open the following Python file.

#+begin_src python
import sys
#+end_src

3. Make sure that ElDoc mode is enabled.
4. C-c C-p (M-x run-python)
5. Make sure that "Shell native completion is enabled." is shown in
   the minibuffer.
6. C-x o (Back to the Python mode buffer)
7. C-c C-c (M-x python-shell-send-buffer)
8. C-n (M-x next-line)
9. Type "sys."
10. Wait for 1-2 seconds to make sure ElDoc function is run by the
    idle timer.
11. C-M-i (M-x completion-at-point)
12. "No match" is shown in the minibuffer.

The problem with FFAP can be reproduced with similar steps.

The direct cause of these problems is that
`python-util-comint-last-prompt' returns nil, which is not supposed in
`python-shell-completion-at-point'.

`python-util-comint-last-prompt' is a wrapper to return
`comint-last-prompt'.  `comint-last-prompt' is initialized to nil in
`comint-snapshot-last-prompt' and is set in `comint-output-filter'.
However, `python-shell-send-string-no-output' which is used by the
features mentioned above temporarily changes the `process-filter' to
redirect the output.  This causes `comint-output-filter' to not be
called and `comint-last-prompt' to remain nil.

I think `comint-snapshot-last-prompt' should not be called as long as 
`comint-output-filter' is not called and the Inferior Python Shell
buffer is not changed.  Attached is a patch to fix this issue.

Best Regards,

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2022-10-09 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: 9d47364634f96b2f2651a7f3942f8f87b920f02d
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --without-libgmp'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46148 9345)
 (symbols 48 5790 0)
 (strings 32 15049 1660)
 (string-bytes 1 427012)
 (vectors 16 8356)
 (vector-slots 8 105418 10463)
 (floats 8 24 349)
 (intervals 56 216 0)
 (buffers 1000 11))