Subject: Re: bug#58383: 29.0.50; Make it easier to invert vc-prepare-patches-separately

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 12:54:51 +0000

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> How about a prefix argument to vc-prepare-patch to invert one's usual
> setting for vc-prepare-patches-separately?  Most people who contribute
> to more than one project regularly will want to use both.

How would this be preferable to setting `vc-prepare-patches-separately'
as a directory local variable?  That way you don't have to remember to
use a prefix argument whenever invoking `vc-prepare-patch'.

> On the other hand, having a numeric prefix argument mean "send patches
> correspoding to the top N revisions of the current branch" would be very
> convenient.  Perhaps these two could be combined by using a negative
> number to mean also invert?

This is the usual problem with numeric prefix arguments.  You don't get
that much expressivity with just an integer.

That is why I would hesitate to assign any particular interpretation to
prefix arguments, before considering and weighing the options.