Subject: Re: bug#58383: 29.0.50; Make it easier to invert vc-prepare-patches-separately

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 16:06:29 -0700

Hello,

On Sun 09 Oct 2022 at 12:54PM GMT, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How about a prefix argument to vc-prepare-patch to invert one's usual
>> setting for vc-prepare-patches-separately?  Most people who contribute
>> to more than one project regularly will want to use both.
>
> How would this be preferable to setting `vc-prepare-patches-separately'
> as a directory local variable?  That way you don't have to remember to
> use a prefix argument whenever invoking `vc-prepare-patch'.

Makes sense.

>> On the other hand, having a numeric prefix argument mean "send patches
>> correspoding to the top N revisions of the current branch" would be very
>> convenient.  Perhaps these two could be combined by using a negative
>> number to mean also invert?
>
> This is the usual problem with numeric prefix arguments.  You don't get
> that much expressivity with just an integer.
>
> That is why I would hesitate to assign any particular interpretation to
> prefix arguments, before considering and weighing the options.

Well, any other options in mind?  Varying the -N argument to
git-format-patch/git-send-email is what I find myself using the most.

-- 
Sean Whitton