Subject: bug#58379: 29.0.50; eww: can't align table row

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:27:29 +0300

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> [2022-10-08 16:45]:
> Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It would be good to have proper eww table rendering.
> 
> The Emacs display engine doesn't support flowing text around images --
> an image is just one very big character, so you can't have two lines of
> text next to an image.
> 
> So shr just puts all images in tables after tables.

Closing the bug does not make it less bug. Please do not close.

I have researched today and found that Telega can splice images and
thus show very nicely image and text next to each other, including in
multiple lines.

Would that not be good improvement in Emacs to be able to display
image and text side by side?

I suggest looking into Telega, as the trick that author uses is
splicing images. I can see chars side by side to the image and image
appears very correctly and is scrollable.

;; Author: Zajcev Evgeny <[email-masked]>
;; Created: Wed Nov 30 19:04:26 2016
;; URL: https://github.com/zevlg/telega.el

telega-ins--image-slices is a byte-compiled Lisp function in
‘telega-ins.el’.

(telega-ins--image-slices IMAGE &optional PROPS SLICE-FUNC)

Insert sliced IMAGE at current column.
PROPS - additional image properties.
SLICE-FUNC - function called after inserting slice. Called with
single argument - slice number, starting from 0.

I do not understand the code yet. It would be nice if somebody can
help on this to become able to construct image and text on the side.

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/