Subject: Re: bug#58360: 28.2; tramp-archive and file-directory-p

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 17:23:34 -0300

On Sat, 08 Oct 2022 at 13:47, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Hi Gustavo,

Hi Michael,

> tramp-archive.el is implemented by using the archive backend of
> GVFS. This means, that the file is mounted via fuse.
>
> I wish we would have another implementation, for example integrating
> libarchive(3) directly into Emacs. This would avoid mounting, and it
> would allow us to use it on other platforms but GNU/Linux only. But
> nobody has implemented this yet.
>
> It is on my TODO under the section "When I really run out of ideas 
> what
> to do else". But this section doesn't get attention by me yet.
>
> Anybody else is invited to implement a native libarchive(3) 
> integration
> into Emacs, as I have said several times already. Should we add this 
> on
> etc/TODO?

Well, I wasn't even thinking in terms of dependencies, just the 
consideration that simply testing the predicate on the file generates 
the mount point.

Of course, native integration of libarchive would be welcome, but that 
was not what I meant to criticize.

Either way, understood, particularly considering you made clear in the 
other message that calling the predicate on a file with the appended 
slash is a "misuse", which was something I had failed to grasp when I 
wrote.

Thank you once again.

> Best regards, Michael.

Best regards,
Gustavo.