Subject: bug#58360: 28.2; tramp-archive and file-directory-p

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 13:47:46 +0200

Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Stefan,

Hi Gustavo,

> Putting things in this form made me think of something else which
> might be worth discussing as well.  Running the predicate alone is
> enough to trigger the mounting of the file.  Isn't this overstepping?

tramp-archive.el is implemented by using the archive backend of
GVFS. This means, that the file is mounted via fuse.

I wish we would have another implementation, for example integrating
libarchive(3) directly into Emacs. This would avoid mounting, and it
would allow us to use it on other platforms but GNU/Linux only. But
nobody has implemented this yet.

It is on my TODO under the section "When I really run out of ideas what
to do else". But this section doesn't get attention by me yet.

Anybody else is invited to implement a native libarchive(3) integration
into Emacs, as I have said several times already. Should we add this on
etc/TODO?

> Best regards,
> Gustavo.

Best regards, Michael.