Subject: Re: bug#58338: 29.0.50; mapatoms called on more elements than in obarray?

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 06:52:23 +0200

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:
>> It's all history.  Obarray existed since the Big Bang.  Don't use it.
>
> OK, then I'll close the report.  But if I am not supposed to use the
> obarrays, what would you recommend if I want to count the number of
> known symbols?

I guess you have to use mapatoms, then.

> (Context:  I am trying to detect all variables defined
> in a package,

Use do-symbols and alike.  Oh wait, that won't work, we don't have
packages.  Did I already mention that CL packages would be really nice
to have... :-).

> and since that takes a while I wrapped the `mapatoms' call in
> a progress reporter, that needs a maximal value).

You could also do it like Apple and Microsoft do: start displaying N%
with increasing N for the first minutes, until we reach 99%, and then
leave it at that until finished.  We could even offer that as a general
functionality, say with-apple-progress :-).

Or just display something that shows that it's still alive.  -, \, |, /,
for example.  Or the number of things processed so far.