Subject: Re: bug#5833: 23.1.94; Opening files on network shares on w32 is slow

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:16:42 +0300

> From: Mathias Dahl <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:12:40 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> The results are very interesting:

If by ``interesting'' you mean the few large readings after the
initial one, I'd suspect some heavy network traffic at that moment
that slows down file access.  Do you have any other explanations?

> Suddenly we get relatively good results.

It means most of the time is not spent in actually reading the file,
but in something else.

> find-file-noselect                30          119.71899999  3.9906333333
> find-file-noselect-1              30          84.484000000  2.8161333333
> insert-file-contents              30          42.253        1.4084333333
> after-find-file                   30          42.230999999  1.4076999999
> file-exists-p                     780         34.638999999  0.0444089743
> file-truename                     60          29.048999999  0.4841499999

Perhaps look at why we spend about 1 sec (3.99 - 2.81) inside
find-file-noselect, and also why are we calling file-exists-p so many
times.