Subject: bug#58325: closed (Re: bug#58325: 28.1: Function-name error in documentation of M-j key binding)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 07:35:03 +0000

Your bug report

#58325: 28.1: Function-name error in documentation of M-j key binding

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58325: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58325
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58325: 28.1: Function-name error in documentation of M-j key binding
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 03:34:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark Harig via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Comment Commands, there is
>    the sentence:
>
> `C-M-j'
> `M-j'
>      Like `<RET>' followed by inserting and aligning a comment
>      (`comment-indent-new-line').
>
> However, C-h c M-j reports (for numerous (all?) major modes)
>
>     M-j runs the command default-indent-new-line
>
> Although the function `comment-indent-new-line' exists, the key
> sequences C-M-j and M-j are not bound to it.
>
> So, the sentence in the Emacs info manual needs to have
> `comment-indent-new-line' changed to `default-indent-new-line'.
>
>
> 2. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Multi-Line Comments, there
>    is the sentence:
>
>       If you are typing a comment and wish to continue it to
>       another line, type `M-j' or `C-M-j'
>       (`comment-indent-new-line').
>
> This sentence, too, needs to be changed to list the correct
> function name (`default-indent-new-line').
>
>
> 3. Note also that only the second instance of
>    `comment-indent-new-line' is found with an index search, and
>    the match is not the definition of the key binding:
>
>    Found ‘comment-indent-new-line’ in Command Index.  (Only match)
>
> With the fix described above, an index entry should be added to
> find `default-indent-new-line' in (emacs) Comment Commands.

Thanks for the bug report.  This is now fixed on the emacs-28 branch.

Subject: 28.1: Function-name error in documentation of M-j key binding
From: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 02:18:13 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Comment Commands, there is
   the sentence:

`C-M-j'
`M-j'
     Like `<RET>' followed by inserting and aligning a comment
     (`comment-indent-new-line').

However, C-h c M-j reports (for numerous (all?) major modes)

    M-j runs the command default-indent-new-line

Although the function `comment-indent-new-line' exists, the key
sequences C-M-j and M-j are not bound to it.

So, the sentence in the Emacs info manual needs to have
`comment-indent-new-line' changed to `default-indent-new-line'.

2. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Multi-Line Comments, there
   is the sentence:

      If you are typing a comment and wish to continue it to
      another line, type `M-j' or `C-M-j'
      (`comment-indent-new-line').

This sentence, too, needs to be changed to list the correct
function name (`default-indent-new-line').

3. Note also that only the second instance of
   `comment-indent-new-line' is found with an index search, and
   the match is not the definition of the key binding:

   Found ‘comment-indent-new-line’ in Command Index.  (Only match)

With the fix described above, an index entry should be added to
find `default-indent-new-line' in (emacs) Comment Commands.

(End of report.)