Subject: 28.1: Function-name error in documentation of M-j key binding

From: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 02:18:13 +0000 (UTC)

1. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Comment Commands, there is
   the sentence:

`C-M-j'
`M-j'
     Like `<RET>' followed by inserting and aligning a comment
     (`comment-indent-new-line').

However, C-h c M-j reports (for numerous (all?) major modes)

    M-j runs the command default-indent-new-line

Although the function `comment-indent-new-line' exists, the key
sequences C-M-j and M-j are not bound to it.

So, the sentence in the Emacs info manual needs to have
`comment-indent-new-line' changed to `default-indent-new-line'.

2. In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Multi-Line Comments, there
   is the sentence:

      If you are typing a comment and wish to continue it to
      another line, type `M-j' or `C-M-j'
      (`comment-indent-new-line').

This sentence, too, needs to be changed to list the correct
function name (`default-indent-new-line').

3. Note also that only the second instance of
   `comment-indent-new-line' is found with an index search, and
   the match is not the definition of the key binding:

   Found ‘comment-indent-new-line’ in Command Index.  (Only match)

With the fix described above, an index entry should be added to
find `default-indent-new-line' in (emacs) Comment Commands.

(End of report.)