Subject: bug#58324: closed (Re: bug#58324: 28.1: Variable-name error in documentation of variables used to configure ElDoc mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 07:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58324: 28.1: Variable-name error in documentation of variables used to configure ElDoc mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58324: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58324
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58324: 28.1: Variable-name error in documentation of variables used to configure ElDoc mode
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 03:34:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark Harig via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Lisp Doc, one of the variables
> documented is `eldoc-display-truncation-message'.  But C-h v is
> unable to reference this variable to provide its description.
> Instead, in the Eldoc customization group, there is the variable
> named `eldoc-echo-area-display-truncation-message', whose
> description appears to match the description at the (emacs) Lisp
> Doc node of the Emacs info manual.
>
> If this is the intended variable name, then the Emacs info manual
> needs to be changed to use it.

Thanks for the bug report.  The variable was renamed in commit
77c3928425, but the manual was unfortunately never updated.

I've now fixed this on the emacs-28 branch, so I'm closing this bug
report.

Subject: 28.1: Variable-name error in documentation of variables used to configure ElDoc mode
From: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 02:12:22 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In the Emacs info manual, (emacs) Lisp Doc, one of the variables
documented is `eldoc-display-truncation-message'.  But C-h v is
unable to reference this variable to provide its description.
Instead, in the Eldoc customization group, there is the variable
named `eldoc-echo-area-display-truncation-message', whose
description appears to match the description at the (emacs) Lisp
Doc node of the Emacs info manual.

If this is the intended variable name, then the Emacs info manual
needs to be changed to use it.

(End of report.)