Subject: Re: bug#58319: 29.0.50; Not logical compilation warnings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 08:33:15 +0300

> From: "Jean Louis" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 21:25:00 +0300
> 
> 
> I am testing new function M-x emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load
> and I can see some new warnings that I have not seen before.

The aspects of the warnings you are asking about have nothing to do
with native-compilation, the warnings are emitted by the byte
compiler.

> These warnings are not enlightening neither helpful.

Maybe you need to get used to what they say, that's all.

> It is not clear what the sign + after number means. It is unclear if it
> means "5 and more" or "more than five". That sign is not helpful.

It means 5 or more.  Usually, it means the function's signature has 5
mandatory arguments and then something like "&rest args".

> To me it looks same 5+ and 5-10, as both mean to me that it is 5 and
> more arguments. But maybe author wants to say what it should mean.

Emacs can only say "5-10" when the function uses &optional, because
only in that case it is possible to know how many more can follow.

I think this format of warnings exists since about forever.