Subject: bug#58319: 29.0.50; Not logical compilation warnings

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:06:46 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2022-10-06 08:35]:
> > From: "Jean Louis" <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 21:25:00 +0300
> > 
> > 
> > I am testing new function M-x emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load
> > and I can see some new warnings that I have not seen before.
> 
> The aspects of the warnings you are asking about have nothing to do
> with native-compilation, the warnings are emitted by the byte
> compiler.

Thanks, I get understanding.

> > These warnings are not enlightening neither helpful.
> 
> Maybe you need to get used to what they say, that's all.

Of course I can get used to less meaningful expression, but I protest
against such.

> > It is not clear what the sign + after number means. It is unclear if it
> > means "5 and more" or "more than five". That sign is not helpful.
> 
> It means 5 or more.  Usually, it means the function's signature has 5
> mandatory arguments and then something like "&rest args".

> > To me it looks same 5+ and 5-10, as both mean to me that it is 5 and
> > more arguments. But maybe author wants to say what it should mean.
> 
> Emacs can only say "5-10" when the function uses &optional, because
> only in that case it is possible to know how many more can follow.
> 
> I think this format of warnings exists since about forever.

That means when it says "5-10" that it is limited to 10, and "5+"
means it is not limited to how many arguments it can take.

That meaning is not clearly expressed, it is something only insiders
know.

--
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/