Subject: Re: bug#58318: 28.2; Emacs installed from package won't work with MinGW

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 14:56:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Right, so I think we need a special Makefile target to produce those
> compiled trampolines (something like "make trampolines"), and that
> target should be only used manually when building a binary
> distribution, not when building the release tarball for use on the
> same machine where it is built.

Yup.

But I'm not sure this is something we should do, really -- it's extra
work for something that is only important on non-free systems, and it
will complicate the logic in general (since we'd probably need to add
another directory for pre-built trampolines and manage those, etc).

I think we should leave this up to people who do packaging.  That is, if
Cygwin (etc) distributes an Emacs with nativecomp, they will also
distribute libgccjit etc (i.e., all the prerequisites).

That leaves the question of what we should do with the Windows zip file
we (that is, Corwin) distributes, and I think we should avoid enabling
nativecomp in that build, so that it works on the widest range of
Windows machines.