Subject: bug#58316: closed (Re: bug#58316: 5.19.12 kernel causes issues with Intel laptops)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 17:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58316: 5.19.12 kernel causes issues with Intel laptops

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58316: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58316
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58316: 5.19.12 kernel causes issues with Intel laptops
From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
To: Declan Rixon <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:00:38 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 01:05:59PM +0000, Declan Rixon wrote:
> Hi all, I ran guix pull and system reconfigure today, updating my kernel to
> 5.19.12. On rebooting I was unable to get much past the bootloader before
> the screen started flashing. Aparrently there's a regression in 5.19.12
> that couses this issue in some intel laptops. Because guix is guix I just
> rolled back for now.
> 
> This regression was fixed in the 5.19.13 stable release.
> 
> https://www.neowin.net/news/beware-linux-kernel-51912-could-damage-your-intel-laptop-display-literally/
> shows the effect on someone elses laptop (not guix). They say that 5.19.11
> works fine and while I haven't checked that myself, I can say 5.19.9 works
> fine.

Thanks for the report. I was wondering if it was also happening with the
linux-libre kernel. The 5.19 kernel has been updated to 5.19.14, so all
should be good now.

Of course let us know if it comes back with the newer kernel version.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

Subject: 5.19.12 kernel causes issues with Intel laptops
From: Declan Rixon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:05:59 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all, I ran guix pull and system reconfigure today, updating my kernel to
5.19.12. On rebooting I was unable to get much past the bootloader before
the screen started flashing. Aparrently there's a regression in 5.19.12
that couses this issue in some intel laptops. Because guix is guix I just
rolled back for now.

This regression was fixed in the 5.19.13 stable release.

https://www.neowin.net/news/beware-linux-kernel-51912-could-damage-your-intel-laptop-display-literally/
shows the effect on someone elses laptop (not guix). They say that 5.19.11
works fine and while I haven't checked that myself, I can say 5.19.9 works
fine.