Subject: [bug#58310] [PATCH 03/14] gnu: Add python-setuptools-scm-7.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 12:14:51 +0100

Hi Lars,

On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 at 18:22, Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Since I am not an expert on this setuptools_scm, the question is: is it
>> an issue?  For instance, it can be for python-numpy so the term ’-next’
>> is appended to the name.
>
> as long as setuptools_scm’s dependencies are compatible and it does
> not break current behavior – I don’t see any breaking changes in
> the ChangeLog – the -next is not justified imo.

The update of python-setuptools-scm from 6 to 7 is not possible without
going via core-updates, no?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix refresh -l python-setuptools-scm | cut -f1 -d':'
Building the following 2406 packages would ensure 5564 dependent packages are rebuilt
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Therefore, there are only two options for the patchset:

   1. try to build the patchset using the current v6 of python-setuptools-scm
or
   2. add v7 as a separated package

I have not tried #1.  About #2, if the name of this new package is not
tweaked, then it can be confusing to get v7 at the command line (or
specifications->manifest) when all the other Python stack is built using
v6; even if there is no incompatibilities between v6 and v7 according to
upstream notes.

Well, so you opinion is to keep the name for v7 as it is, right?

Cheers,
simon