Subject: bug#58302: 29.0.50; browse-url-emacs is extremely slow (and I think always has been?)

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 15:47:06 +1300

On 2022-10-07 01:53, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I can reproduce this, too.  I think it's likely that the delay is 
> coming
> from the error message (which is a misleading error message).  There's
> probably a "sleep-for 2" after displaying the error message?

True, `after-find-file' does this:

  (or not-serious (sit-for 1 t))

And indeed that accounts for 1s of the ~2.5s delay; so this is
a significant factor, yet seemingly not the only issue.

With that commented out I now get:

Elapsed time: 0.835925s (0.039518s in 1 GCs) ;; find-file-noselect-1
(1.7317769889999999 1 0.03951770099999996)   ;; the overall 
benchmark-run

Instead of the former:

Elapsed time: 1.876737s (0.057295s in 1 GCs) ;; find-file-noselect-1
(2.680159853 1 0.057295379000000146)         ;; the overall 
benchmark-run