Subject: Re: bug#583: Use XDG basedir spec for configuration files?

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 22:17:55 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 12:50:46 -0400
>> 
>> With a proper following of the XDG spec, the concept of (a single)
>> "user-emacs-directory" would no longer be present.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why.  Can you tell more?  (I know very
> little about XDG.)

It's well documented, the link in the OP still works.
See also eg https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_Base_Directory

IMO a true conversion of Emacs to the XDG spec would involve the
addition of new variables (user-config-directory, user-data-directory,
user-cache-directory, etc). Each use of user-emacs-directory would have
to be reviewed to see where it actually belongs. For some, it would
probably be ambiguous.