Subject: Re: bug#583: Use XDG basedir spec for configuration files?

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 22:14:07 -0400

Paul Eggert wrote:

>> ~/.emacs.d/ -> ~/.config/emacs/?
>
> Yes, that's what Emacs basically has in master now. I don't see where
> Fernando mentioned ELPA, though.

He didn't. Elpa may not even have existed when this report was opened.
I was using it as an example.

> And it's not clear that an ELPA package's files should be considered
> "user specific data files" (XDG_DATA_HOME) as opposed to "user
> specific configuration files" (XDG_CONFIG_HOME).

It seems clear to me. They are data, not configuration. You would not
install them under /etc, but somewhere like /usr/share.

> For what it's worth, I found an old directory named '~/.gimp-2.8' and
> a newer one named '~/.config/GIMP/2.10' with similar structure. It
> appears that when GIMP made the transition to XDG style in GIMP
> version 2.9.2, it did what Emacs just did in master now: that is, GIMP
> moved all its stuff into ~/config/GIMP. Although I don't use GIMP
> plug-ins, the GIMP plug-ins directory moved too.

IMO "dump everything under ~/.config/emacs" isn't a proper
implementation, even if some other packages have done this.