Subject: Re: bug#58286: 29.0.50; (dired-toggle-read-only) should verify if file names changed

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 22:11:49 +0300

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> [2022-10-04 13:48]:
> Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I have noticed that C-x C-q does not verify if file names changed.
> >
> > If file name was:
> >
> > my-file.ext.part
> >
> > once C-x C-q is invoked, it does not refresh buffer. In my opinion it
> > shall refresh buffer or warn that file name does not exist any more, if
> > it does not, so that editing of file names makes sense.
> 
> I don't understand what you mean here -- editing file names in wdired
> works fine for me.
> 
> Do you have a step-by-step recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", that
> demonstrates the problem?

It is explained above. The file my-file.ext.part was edited, but then
at some point the file named changed during editing, or file may be
removed. After editing, the buffer was not refreshed. I could see new
file name in the buffer while that file did not exist.

With emacs -Q I see that it refreshes.

I can't understand why and how, that is what happened. I do not change
dired myself in anyway, even if not used with emacs -Q.

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/