Subject: Re: bug#58281: 27.1; windows mangles encoding on command line

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:26:01 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Daniel Bastos <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:38:35 -0300
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> > > 19:29:10 [e3d8a26875] *CURRENT* NaivetÃ©. (user: mer tags: trunk)
>> >
>> > What do you see if you run "fossil timeline -n 1" from the shell
>> > outside of Emacs? does it show "Naiveté" as expected?  If it does,
>> > then what you see above is a secondary and much less serious problem;
>> > the repository is OK.
>>
>> Great.  I see it correctly when I run "fossil timeline -n 1" from the
>> shell outside of Emacs.
>>
>> C:\my\path>fossil timeline -n 1
>> === 2022-11-07 ===
>> 19:35:10 [c51f1ff698] *CURRENT* Naiveté. (user: mer tags: trunk)
>> --- entry limit (1) reached ---
>
> OK, so this means the solution "mostly" works, and the fact that you
> see it garbled in Eshell is some kind of display problem.  Although I
> don't understand why it happens; it looks like fossil for some reason
> outputs UTF-8 encoded text.  Do you have some customization, either in
> Emacs or in fossil, which could cause that?

No further updates within 9 months.  Eli made some fixes, that seems to
have improved the situation.  It also seems like the fault here
ultimately was with a program called "fossil", and not with Emacs.

I'm therefore going to assume that there's nothing more we can do here,
and I'm therefore closing this bug report.  If this conclusion is
incorrect, please reply to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email
client) and we can reopen the bug report.