Subject: bug#58281: 27.1; windows mangles encoding on command line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 14:08:49 +0200

> From: Daniel Bastos <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:38:35 -0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > 19:29:10 [e3d8a26875] *CURRENT* NaivetÃ©. (user: mer tags: trunk)
> >
> > What do you see if you run "fossil timeline -n 1" from the shell
> > outside of Emacs? does it show "Naiveté" as expected?  If it does,
> > then what you see above is a secondary and much less serious problem;
> > the repository is OK.
> 
> Great.  I see it correctly when I run "fossil timeline -n 1" from the
> shell outside of Emacs.
> 
> C:\my\path>fossil timeline -n 1
> === 2022-11-07 ===
> 19:35:10 [c51f1ff698] *CURRENT* Naiveté. (user: mer tags: trunk)
> --- entry limit (1) reached ---

OK, so this means the solution "mostly" works, and the fact that you
see it garbled in Eshell is some kind of display problem.  Although I
don't understand why it happens; it looks like fossil for some reason
outputs UTF-8 encoded text.  Do you have some customization, either in
Emacs or in fossil, which could cause that?