Subject: bug#58279: 29.0.50; image-dired and background processing

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 07:43:33 +0200

close 58279 29.1
thanks

Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]> writes:

> After updating to master 0df73dabc1, I noticed what looks like
> contradictory text in etc/NEWS.
>
> On the one hand, we have text saying that image-dired creates thumbnails
> in the background:
[...]
>
> On the other hand, we have text that seems to say that background
> processing does not happen:
>
[...]
> Is this just a matter of confusing wording, or is one of these text
> excerpts flat-out wrong?

Thanks for the bug report!

That is confusing, indeed.  The full story is that Image-Dired still
generates thumbnails using an external program (the capability to
generate them in the background was added in 2016), but no longer need
to convert them to display the full size image (this is new in Emacs 29).

I clarified the second NEWS item by installing the below change (commit
2d87750004).

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index f21acaf207..8a27b91e30 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -2306,9 +2306,8 @@ the thumbnail file.

 +++
 *** Some commands and user options are now obsolete.
-Since Image-Dired no longer converts images in the background before
-displaying them, some commands and user options that are no longer
-needed are now obsolete:
+Since 'image-dired-display-image-mode' is now based on 'image-mode',
+some commands and user options are no longer needed and are now obsolete:
 'image-dired-cmd-create-temp-image-options',
 'image-dired-cmd-create-temp-image-program',
 'image-dired-display-current-image-full',