Subject: bug#58279: 29.0.50; image-dired and background processing

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 17:12:00 -0700

After updating to master 0df73dabc1, I noticed what looks like
contradictory text in etc/NEWS.

On the one hand, we have text saying that image-dired creates thumbnails
in the background:

-----8<-----8<-----
*** 'image-dired-show-all-from-dir-max-files' has been increased to 500.
This option controls asking for confirmation when starting Image-Dired
in a directory with many files.  However, Image-Dired creates
thumbnails in the background these days, so this is not as important
as it used to be, back when entering a large directory could lock up
Emacs for tens of seconds.  In addition, you can now customize this
option to nil to disable this confirmation completely.
----->8----->8-----

On the other hand, we have text that seems to say that background
processing does not happen:

-----8<-----8<-----
*** Some commands and user options are now obsolete.
Since Image-Dired no longer converts images in the background before
displaying them, some commands and user options that are no longer
needed are now obsolete:
'image-dired-cmd-create-temp-image-options',
'image-dired-cmd-create-temp-image-program',
'image-dired-display-current-image-full',
'image-dired-display-current-image-sized',
'image-dired-display-window-height-correction',
'image-dired-display-window-width-correction',
'image-dired-temp-image-file'.
----->8----->8-----

Is this just a matter of confusing wording, or is one of these text
excerpts flat-out wrong?

(I did go to savannah just now to see if the latest etc/NEWS has
different text, and it does, but the apparent conflict remains.)

mike