Subject: bug#58267: 29.0.50; Native-compiling the same files at every start

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 19:51:46 +0300

> From: Holger Schurig <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 00:11:38 -0700
> 
> So, when I stop Emacs and start it again, I get the same behavior.
> 
> I think the underlying problem is that /usr/local/share is root owned,
> and my running Emacs as a user don't have write access. So no *.eln
> files end up in this path. And this makes Emacs trying to byte-compile
> them again.

But Emacs is not supposed to write the *.eln files into
/usr/local/share, it's supposed to write them to your
.emacs.d/eln-cache directory under your home directory.  Is your home
directory writable?  What is the value of native-comp-eln-load-path in
that session?

> Couldn't Emacs byte-compile them at "make" or "make install" steps?

How would that help if Emacs is unable to write the *.eln files for
some reason?