Subject: bug#58233: Latex style files shifts code with underscores

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 14:41:27 +0200

uzibalqa <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am working on some latex style files and have noticed that code with underscores gets displayed
> as subscript notation (characters get shifted downwards) rather than showing code as it should be.
>
> Consequently, the following looks extremely weird.
>
> \cs_new_protected:Nn \__hagbard_newtheorem_parent:nnn
>  {
>   \newtheorem{#1_inner}[#3]{\color{\l__hagbard_theorem_setcolor_tl}#2}
>  }
> \cs_generate_variant:Nn \__hagbard_newtheorem_parent:nnn { VVV }

I've managed to repress all knowledge of .sty files I once had.

Emacs currently uses latex-mode to display .sty files.  In LaTeX,
underscores aren't allowed in identifiers like this, are they?

So it seems like the solution here would be to default
tex-fontify-script to nil in .sty files, which seems to fix this
specific problem.  But the fontification is still pretty weird:

I.e., if this is valid .sty syntax, then latex-mode doesn't really have
support for it at all, I think?