Subject: 29.0.50; alloc.c:879: assertion failed: 0 < item_size && 0 < nitems_incr_min && 0 <= n0 && -1 <= nitems_max

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 22:03:05 +0530

[ Not sure if emacs-devel was preferred for assertion violations.  ]

With a build with checking enabled, I get the following message when I
launch Emacs.

    % emacs -Q
    alloc.c:879: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: 0 < item_size && 0 < nitems_incr_min && 0 <= n0 && -1 <= nitems_max
    Aborted

However, if I attach gdb to Emacs and launch it, it starts just fine.
IME, this goes away when I restart my laptop.  In case it matters,
`free -h' output is below

    % free -h
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           3.7Gi       1.2Gi       1.0Gi       160Mi       1.5Gi       2.1Gi
    Swap:          4.0Gi       513Mi       3.5Gi

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 37, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2022-10-01 built on astatine
Repository revision: fe54ad672e88477fc07c7590baf9d7935104b84a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-xaw3d
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 37349 7657)
 (symbols 48 5305 0)
 (strings 32 14225 1461)
 (string-bytes 1 379975)
 (vectors 16 9272)
 (vector-slots 8 147636 13287)
 (floats 8 23 25)
 (intervals 56 240 0)
 (buffers 1000 10))