Subject: Re: bug#58232: 29.0.50; alloc.c:879: assertion failed: 0 < item_size && 0 < nitems_incr_min && 0 <= n0 && -1 <= nitems_max

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 09:14:50 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 10:00:22 +0530
> 
> >> However, if I attach gdb to Emacs and launch it, it starts just fine.
> >
> > Can you enable core files and produce a core dump?  Then it can be
> > debugged with GDB, and we could see the backtrace.
> 
> I attached the core dump to this mail.

The core file can only be debugged on your system, so posting it is
not useful.  You start GDB like this:

   $ gdb /path/to/emacs/src/emacs core

(where "core" should be replaced with the actual absolute file name of
the core file), and then you can type "bt" at GDB prompt to show the
backtrace from the abort site.

Note that the above will only be possible as long as you have the
original emacs binary which dumped core.  IOW, if you rebuild Emacs,
be sure to preserve the binary which aborted, or else GDB will refuse
to debug that.

Thanks.