Subject: bug#58225: 29.0.50; esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external test fails on macOS (10.13.6)

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 16:25:09 +0200

Failed test on macOS 10.13.6, see below output from "make check":

Test esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form
  ert-fail(((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form (eshell-match-
  eshell-match-command-output("echo ${*echo hi}" "hi\n")
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x8d9c3a32214eb5c>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external :doc
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (eshell-match-output regexp))
      :form
      (eshell-match-output "hi\n")
      :value nil :explanation
      (mismatched-output
       (command "echo ${*echo hi}\n")
       (output "")
       (regexp "hi\n"))))
   FAILED   5/65  esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external (0.766877 sec) at
lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.el:148
[...]
SUMMARY OF TEST RESULTS
-----------------------
Files examined: 451
Ran 6654 tests, 5 failed to run, 6530 results as expected, 1
unexpected, 123 skipped
1 files did not finish:
  lisp/emacs-lisp/multisession-tests.log
1 files contained unexpected results:
  lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.log
make[2]: *** [check-doit] Error 2
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make: *** [check] Error 2

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS
 appkit-1561.61 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042)) of 2022-10-01 built on
 SK-MacBook-Pro
Repository revision: 3faa508eba84a1983732099cbd3cc1eaad404158
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.13.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv rmc iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 64035 6897)
 (symbols 48 7032 0)
 (strings 32 18188 3512)
 (string-bytes 1 551337)
 (vectors 16 14682)
 (vector-slots 8 229100 11529)
 (floats 8 26 25)
 (intervals 56 206 0)
 (buffers 1000 11))