Subject: bug#58224: closed (Re: bug#58224: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:38:01 +0000

Your bug report

#58224: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58224: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58224
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58224: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file"
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 20:37:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Eli and Stefan.

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 20:07:26 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:46:01 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > > > In lread.c I've got:

> > > >   struct timespec epoch_timespec = {(time_t)0, 0}; /* 1970-01-01T00:00 UTC */ 

> > > > , which clearly isn't satisfactory.

> > > I'm not sure I follow: why not satisfactory?

> > Don't we build for operating systems with different epochs?

> No, the Epoch is the same for everyone.  It's a Posix notion, AFAIK.

> > > Is mktime the function you are after?

> > Yes thanks!  But it's horribly complicated, involving wierd readings and
> > settings of the TZ environment variable, and so on.

> Not if you are interested in UTC.

> > If a binary zero time would do (as above), maybe it would be
> > satisfactory.  ;-)

> Yes.

OK, that's great!  I've committed a patch, and I'm closing the bug with
this post.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germanay).

Subject: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 16:15:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

Every time I "make bootstrap", I get a ton of spurious messages (see
below).  I believe they started showing up with Lars' much appreciated
work on improving build speeds.  I have tripped myself up over this
more than once, and I suspect it will confuse users too.

Is there any chance we could do something to silence them?  If we
can't solve it "properly", how about just a hack?  For example, could
we add some variable to suppress these messages at this stage of the
build process?

For completeness, I almost always build --with-native-compilation, in
case that matters.

  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/cconv.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/byte-opt.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/comp.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.elc
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/comint.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file