Subject: bug#58224: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file"

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:43:44 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 08:59:16 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:15:46 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > I've hacked a quick fix together.  The idea is to give the variable
> > force-load-messages an extra possibility, 'never.  This suppresses the
> > messages we want to suppress.

> Instead of inventing a new value that overrides the non-nil value, why
> not simply reset the variable to nil?

force-load-messages is nil by default, and currently isn't used at all
by Emacs.  It seems to be a pure debugging variable.

The NOMESSAGE argument to Fload when non-nil, causes the unwanted
message:

    Source file `foo.el' newer than byte-compiled file; using older file

..  When NOMESSAGE is nil, we get instead

    Loading foo.elc (compiled; note, source file is newer)...

..  Whichever setting of NOMESSAGE and force-load-messages we use, we get
one of the above messages displayed.  So, I'm proposing using a new
value 'never for force-load-messages to mean display neither of these
messages.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).