Subject: bug#58220: global-linum-mode emacs29

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:50:18 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> [2022-10-06 10:12]:
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'd suggest to include linum as well.  We don't know the users'
> > preferences, and shouldn't second-guess them in this case.  The notes
> > about backward compatibilities in NEWS are supposed to help users who
> > want their old ways no matter what.  These notes do not provide our
> > preferences and recommendations, because those are apparent from the
> > defaults.
> 
> OK, that makes sense.  So I've added it (commit 039ada6d03).
> 
> If anyone wants to make any further adjustments or tweaks, please go
> ahead.

In (info "(emacs) Acknowledgments") there is reference to:

   • Markus Triska wrote ‘linum.el’, a minor mode that displays line
     numbers in the left margin.

So if you are taking package out, consider that such reference may
confuse new users.

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/