Subject: Re: bug#58218: 29.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously with timeout causes process-query-on-exit

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 01:51:12 +1300

On 2022-10-02 00:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but if url-retrieve-synchronously exits
> with a timeout, isn't it expected that the process be still alive, and
> therefore that Emacs will ask you about killing it?

Only (IMO) if you were to try to exit Emacs so quickly that the process
was still waiting for the URL response at that time.

I wasn't clear about that, but I was leaving ample time for the process
to receive a response before using C-x C-c (at least several seconds, 
for
a request which was taking less than 1 second when no shorter timeout 
was
set).

> Or are you saying that when url-retrieve-synchronously exits due to
> timeout, it should kill the process?

My bug report was only about the query-on-exit behaviour, but... killing
the process if it times out might a good idea -- or a good thing to be
able to specify optionally?